Friday, July 3, 2009

What a croc!

It is that time of the year. The VBS time!!!!!! (vacation bible school for those who don't know!)

Every year I say I am not going to do it. And every year I give in and do it. The guilts always get the better of me. As I sit in the church pew and listen to the director saying how she needs teachers, I go over and over in my head how I said I was NOT going to do it....and then the marshmellow in me puts on her boxing gloves and a fight begins ....the marshmellow is usually the winner!

I usually get the prek group which can be very stressful at times. If I am lucky....15 kids. If I am unlucky......20-30. Some kids who have never been in a daycare setting before. Some kids who have never stepped foot in a church before then. Kids who's parents drop them off for the 1st time and then make a mad dash for the door, leaving behind a screaming child in their wake. Nothing is more fun and exciting than trying to teach about 20 prek'ers a bible story with two or three screaming children sitting in the back of the room!

My most remembered moment last year was dealing with two crying kids, trying to set up for craft time (which was probably paint something or other cause I AM INSANE!) and some child throwing up on the carpeted floor! Yes. Never a dull moment! And it makes me all goose pimplie with excitement and anticipation for this upcoming year. WHICH, BTW, is next week!

I have spent the last week retyping the stories. Whoever does these things is just plain stupid and never, obviously, worked with young kids before. We do NOT use large words when telling a story, we do not encourage 2 year olds to remove their shoes cause THEY DO NOT KNOW HOW TO PUT THEM BACK ON, and when you tell a story, it should have an ending. Even a 2 year old will pick on the fact that a story has no ending. Like this year the plagues story ended with God sending forth lots and lots of bugs and such and the Pharaoh always saying no, he won't let the people go. And that is how it ends. Cause "God is Powerful". Ok....how is God Powerful if you end it with the Pharaoh saying he will not let the people go? Even to a child, they will pick up that the Pharaoh won cause HE SAID NO! So I had some rewriting to do....and endings to add.

Then I had the decor to do. I know I have mentioned this before but I am a perfectionist sometimes. I think big. All the other teachers just throw their room together the day of and Miss Kim is doing things like building a forest or trying to figure out a way to make a water fall in her room! I don't know why I do this to myself. It just adds to my stress. But I cannot have a dorky room! It should be fun! Exciting. And greatly complex in design! Cause life would just not be complete if I was not spending an entire weekend before VBS trying to figure out how to make a willow tree that will engolf my whole room! WHICH is exactly what my plans are on this Sunday......

The theme is bayou. You know......willow trees, moss, crocs, docks, lightening bugs and probably mosquitos too! So I have spent my whole week thinking about decor that will follow this theme and drive me insane on how to make it, paint it, create it and make it 2 yr old save!

My result? A dock with pussy willows entiring the room. A HUGE willow tree made from paper and streamers that cover the whole room and the painted versions of the croc and his friend who are the storytellers this week. Sounds good, right? Creative. Exciting. Colorful. Insane. I think I have met all those qualifications!


This is the beginnings of my croc....wet, wrinkled, tail missing and 1/2 painted. If you are all good...maybe I might take some pics of the finished version and my whole room.



My goal today is to finish my croc and all his friends and then off to Wally World to pick up my craft supplies. Which I know involves painting of some sort cause life would be just boring without a room full of 20 two year olds and paint and....cause I AM INSANE!

No comments:

Post a Comment