Friday, April 22, 2011

A little humming is all it takes

Funny how a song will stop you in your tracks and bring back memories.  For some it might be a sight or a smell.  For me, music fills my day. I always have it on.  In the house and in the car.  Often times I don't think I am even paying attention to it.  So when I hear a song that stops me in my tracks it often brings a smile to my face or a laugh or just a moment to reflect on a time long gone.

The other day my alarm clock was still playing music while I was getting ready for the day.  It was early morning and the sun was just thinking about waking.  On the radio came Rod Stewart's "Your in my heart" and it made me pause.  I remember early mornings just like that day, laying in bed just before the sun came up, my Grandmom in the bathroom with her radio on and that song playing.  It reminded me of a time of comfort and peace.  A time of being a kid and waiting for my day to begin. I would lay there, snuggled in my warm blankets in the dark and listening to the music while she hummed and got ready for work. I can hear the sound of the makeup on the counter and the swish of the hairspray like it was yesterday when that song came on.  Shortly after, she would come in and wake me to start my day.  And there I was in the bathroom getting ready for my day and in my bed was my daughter.  As if one could ever flip a memory!

It made me pause and remember with a smile on my face.  How we forget something so simple as waking in the morning as a child.  There was nothing big about those moments.  Nothing overly special to make it stand out.  But when that song came on, it brought it back to life like it was yesterday.

Sometimes it only takes a little love song to remember 'your in my heart, your in my soul' and to start your day happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment