Sunday, August 28, 2011

Mean Irene!

I know I should have been on posting about vacation but things have been busy since our return and crazy too with NJs 1st earth quake that I could ever remember!  And now......Irene!

We survived. 

We had gotten supplies by Thur and buckled down for a ride in the middle of the night.  Flashlights were on the counter.  Candles at the ready.  Charged cell phones for us and charged DVD player for the girls.  Baked items in case we had no way to cook.  Cars moved to the road.  Outside things tied down.  We were ready......

Irenes outer bands began hitting us some time around 1pm.  By 8pm it was getting bad.  She was not to make landfall until 2am!!  The rain and winds were batting the house and windows and I tried to remain calm as I sat in the livingroom watching the news and folding clothes and praying we had no major issues. I knew if the electric went out, things would get bad. By 9pm we went into tornado watch.  Let me add that we NEVER get tornados in NJ.  Nothing really.  Ever if you ask me.  But it was really dark.  Really windy.  And I was getting really stressed out from the reports, wind and rain.  I decided that it was time to move a tv downstairs and blow up air beds and move the girls downstairs to ride it out. 

I had no sooner finished getting everything in place and the tv screen began screaming.  A tornado had already touched down in the town right next to us, one was on its way to our house and one just below us.  We ran the kids and dog downstairs and watched with anticipation.  A good hour later we headed back up to get things we needed to spend the night camping.  We were in a tornado watch until 5am!

A tired, scared and miss-placed little girl

And her scared little friend....
CHICKEN DOG!
We finally all fell asleep sometime after 11pm to quiet (from being the basement) and the sound of the news mans continued voice reporting.  All was peace until around 1am.  The sound of the sump pump woke me.  I had never heard it run so much but thinking it was doing its job in the middle of a hurricane, I rolled back over and fell asleep.  Then the call came around 3am.......

My neighbor was flooding. "Check your basement" was the message.  I was IN the basement!  We never get water except near the bilco door some but figured I would give it a check.  Got up and turned on lights.  Fine.  Went to the pantry area.  Some water but it wasn't near the bilco.  It was coming from under my flooring!  I run to the east side of the house, hearing squishing as I run and open the storage area.......FLOODING.  And it is literally making my floating floor float!  Going right under and into other areas!  I went and woke Ryan, whos room is right next door.  His room is beginning to flood.  Wake Todd and the fun begins!!!

Some time a good hour later we realized we simply could do nothing.  No shop vac or a truck load of towels was going to help.  As fast as we cleaned it up, it came back in.  We finally gave up and realized we were not going to win this fight.  We picked up everything we could.  Rolled up carpets.  Picked up toys.  Cleaned out closets.  Packed up Ryan and then woke the girls.  Just in time as the water was heading toward them.
By morning we had..........
A miss placed bunch of girls......again..... and Ryan too!
AND I don't think insurance will cover this.  Tornado coverage we have.  But it is my understanding that they will fight us and tell us it is flooding.  We sit and wait for a case person to show along with a clean up crew and with each minute that passes the floors fill more and buckle, the water comes in more and soon will be going up the walls! I am not sure what we will do with Ryan who now has no room.  What I will do with my business that cannot open tomorrow.  Or how we will repair it all should insurance say flooding instead of tornado.

On a positive-there-is-always-a-silver-lining-point-of-view......
*The electric didn't go out so we didn't lose frozen things. We have water and stove and ways to eat.  And the sump pump is able to work otherwise the water would be knee high!

*We had cable so we knew to run to the basement and to stay there.

*We have an awesome neighbor who didn't have issues calling me at 3am so we weren't doing the back stroke in the basement on our inflatable bed/raft!

*Our house is still standing along with every tree and shingle in place.

*We are safe.  Family is safe. 

Water goes away.  Things get repaired (some how).  We cannot sit and cry over what was.  We can only rejoice on what is......and move on.

May all our friends and family be just as blessed as the sun comes up today........

No comments:

Post a Comment