Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cough cough.....sneeze sneeze

This week has been busy.  Not so much as with activities but more so with illness.  You see...I  have been fighting an uphill battle with all the germs going around lately. Stomach flu, virus', flu, pink eye, whooping cough, etc etc etc.  I have a better understanding of all those service men on the home fronts.  Oh I might not be fighting an army of men with guns but I AM fighting an army of germs coming in my door daily on the hands and mouths of little snotty nosed toddlers and school aged kids.  I can lysol and purel till I am coughing up fresh linen and have hands dry enough to look like a desert. It doesn't stop it from invading once I have a sick child sitting in the middle of the playroom!

Oh how I long for the days of summer!

This week alone I had one stomach virus, one flu and one "I don't know what my child has cause I didn't take them to the dr but they are all better after pumping them with Tylenol and hoping no one notices". 

I cringe at the sound of a sneeze!

Add in Megan was my 1st to come down sick.  It wasn't contagious.  She started out as a really bad allergy attack on and off over the last several weeks which turned into a sinus infection. I should have gone with my gut and made the dr appointment on Monday when she said her teeth hurt but I have been trying to encourage her to speak for herself rather than me doing it for her.  She is, after all, 15.

By Wed. she was in full bloom and I made the appointment.  She was given an antibiotic and sent on her way. By that night she was in pain.  We started hot tea and Advil and allergy meds around the clock.  Thurs she was home sick and unable to go to school.  And by Thur night/Friday morning (cause nothing of course happens when the dr office is open!) we were on our way to the ER as she was starting to pass out when standing.  We took the advise of a nurse friend of ours and gave her more Advil and iced her face which really helped.

Lesson learned....do not show up at the ER at 3am after Advil and ice and tell them that your pain level is a 1!  They look at you like your insane and are disturbing their rest!  But the ice helped and a pain level of 1 is what she proudly announced!  I so need to have a talk with my daughter on her drama performance in times on need like that!!

They gave her a new antibiotic which in turn was the change of the world for her!  By the time she woke she was feeling so much better.  It still took her the rest of the weekend to feel slightly normal and is still dealing with the tail end effects of it all but overall she is doing so much better.

Goes to show you that lysol is not the cure-all for everything.

Wouldn't life be so much simpler if it was!? I could just spray down everyone from head to toe at the 1st sneeze and make it all go away! Life would be full of no germs and the lovely invigorating fresh smell of Linen!

Course we might have issues with asthma but that is another story...........

No comments:

Post a Comment