Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Cable Man

I have survived! Not that my battle is over. Just that I have a break between my next allergy attack and my next dose of allergy meds! So I figured I would jump at this rare opportunity of nondrugged and stuffy head and maybe DO something productive.

Today I had the cable guy come in to fix our tv. We were getting these little broken up boxes on our one TV that looked something like.......
*#ked#$^^^ and #@@ and !!kd#

They came and went with no direction or thought to the fact that I might be watching something important like Dancing with the Stars! After about two months, Todd got fed up enough to call and complain.

The cable man tells me that it is my closed caption. I know what closed caption is and this is not it. It comes and goes. It is more so in the evening or early morning. Last I heard, closed caption does not discriminate between afternoon and late evening. Nor was it just at the bottom of my screen. It was ALL OVER my screen!

The cable man insists that it is my closed caption even though it is not doing it at the moment he is here and he cannot take it off because we do not have the original remote to the tv but rather a universal one. Ok. Think on this. If I do not have the remote to turn it OFF then how did I turn it ON???? Hummmm. Makes one think! And unless deaf people can read alien text messages, I seriously do not think we are dealing with closed caption stuck in the on position!

So, he decided to change my box in hopes it might fix the problem that he cannot find.

After doing so, he decided to head into my livingroom to that tv to put on the closed caption in there to show me what it looks like. He clicks it on but it does not come up on the tv. So he spends the next 10 min channel surfing to see if he can find a channel to show me wrong. In doing so, he comes across Dr. Oz. And at that moment.........I lost him........in Oz. (sorry could not resist!) He stood there with glazed over eyes, his mouth hanging open and the remote just sitting in his hand unmoving while he watched the latest topic about herbal medications.

I tried tapping my foot. My daughter raced in front of him on her scooter. I sighed rather loudly and still he did not move. I was wondering if I should maybe shut off the tv or something when a commercial finally came on and broke the link! He decided that he was just not going to be able to turn on the closed caption to show me and instead was going to chat about his own personal experiences with herbal medications and his doctors.

I have to say that as this point in time I became worried. Have you ever heard the stories about the cable guys who sit all day and watch tv in the house or the one who was on the phone and fell asleep waiting to talk with someone and the homeowner video taped it? I was beginning to believe I might soon be one of those stories on the internet............."woman calls in cable man and he refuses to leave". I was wondering what I had for lunch cause I am thinking I was going to have one more head here staying!

The only thing that rescued me was the arrival of a daycare child! This cued him to take leave. Thank heavens.

I shall have to wait to see if my black box issues was resolved or not. And if not, I pray it is not during Dr. Oz that they return to fix it or I might have to start charging them a room rental fee!

No comments:

Post a Comment