Wednesday, April 28, 2010

State testing, my foot!

Ok I am going to start right off the bat and say I am totally against state testing in schools. Who isn't, right? Not most parents that I know are for it. Certainly not any teachers I know. Even some principles, board of ed and other educational staff are against it. I surely doubt the children are cheering for it!

So it makes me wonder WHY schools teach to the test. If you are against it why do you allow it? Well because the state says so. And the state is full of....teachers? People with any educational background? Nope. Not even close to it.

I support state testing in no way at all other than to simply send my children to school. Might have something to do with having a child with a learning disability. Or the fact that I am a teacher, myself. Whatever the reason, I drag my heels and do as little possible to encourage the state and their stupid ideas. And yet, as much as I try and turn the other cheek and ignore them, they seem to find a way each year to annoy me with it more and more.

My son cannot write in cursive because the school never had the time to teach him. He cannot write it. He cannot read it. BUT they can add a whole class to his schedule focused 100% on state testing preparation. He won't be able to sign a check when he graduates but the school system will look good on paper!

Megan was out of school last year having her tonsils removed. Between the surgery and medication reactions, she was out of school for two weeks. I couldn't even get homework sent to me without screaming, let alone a tutor which they promised me would be available to us. BUT they did call every day and send teachers to our door to take the state test that was scheduled during this same time!

This year I got a letter asking permission for Megan to stay after school for two days. I would have to agree to pick her up. Send in a snack. And it would obviously take away from our afterschool activities but this would help prepare her and her classmates for the upcoming state test next week! As in, they could not prepare her with over 8 months of schooling and 7 hours a day and a special class just for testing? They also had to ask her to stay after school to make sure she was ready.

It is at this point I said ENOUGH! I am not sending in snacks. Her classmates can have all the 'fun preparation' they like. Megan was NOT going to stay after school for this. When do parents stand up and tell them enough is enough? And would they even listen?

I do not care if they get good marks from the state. We don't even live in a township that is even considered for extra state funding! Everything our school has is from our taxes and our pockets. And when that is low....we fundraise.

What I care about is that my son cannot write his name on a check. Or that they have properly prepared him for college and how to deal with his learning disability. I care that Megan is expected to stay after school for something stupid! I care that there are not enough school buses next fall to run Delaneys kindergarten to and from school without them being stuck on a bus for an hour and coming home at 5pm! I care that I am considering having to homeschool Delaney next year because I disagree with the way the kindergarten is being run.

The state? I wonder if one of them will come and show Ryan how to sign his checks!

Probably not!

But I am sure someone will be making sure Megan is sitting in that chair next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment