Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where were you?

On a day that will always be forever in our minds, I remember Sept. 11th like it was yesterday.  The morning was sunny and perfect.  Very much like today. An ordinary day.  But the moments that passed were nothing ordinary.

I opened my daycare like normal and I greeted children and parents just like any other day.  One of my daycare parents arrived a little late and said an accident happened and a plane crashed into the World Trade Center in NY.  We talked, I got the kids busy and turned on the tv.  And there my life would change forever.

At that point in time, the other tower was hit and I knew in my soul this was no accident.  Myself and my grandmother sat and stared and listened to piece together what was happening. I am not so sure even the news reporters knew at that moment.

The second that is engraved in my mind is when the 1st tower disappeared. I say disappeared because the news had both towers on camera as the reporter talked and it seemed like I blinked and one was gone.  Just gone.  Even the reporter didn't know.  And we stood and cried because we knew that thousands of people did not make it out of there in time.  That was all they needed was time and it was gone. Just.........disappeared. 

We knew then that the other tower would go....and the reports of other planes crashing were coming in and we sat, watched, glued to the tv and cried.  So much loss.  So much pain.  So many people.  Parents and husbands and children....all gone in one moment.

I wanted to go and pick up Ryan at school.  To gather my family close by and hold them.  But I had to move forward as nothing happened because children depended on me. My family depended on me.  But we still kept the tv on and prayed as we went through the day.

It was like it happened yesterday and yet so long ago.

Where were you that September day?

May the family and friends of all those lost on p-11 be in our minds, thoughts and prayers today.


No comments:

Post a Comment