Friday, September 7, 2012

Who's brilliant idea was it?

Delaney has been coming home with a ton of papers since school started.  All those "You should come to this meeting if you want to be a fabulous craft making room parent" and "Don't send your child in things like flip flops or mommy's cocktail dress or they will be sent home" type of papers.  The kind we glance at, determine they aren't worth the effort to fully read and throw in the trash.  But while digging through all of Delaneys I came across the lunch menu.  And yet another year of them trying to be creative......

I totally get the whole "kids need to eat better" idea.  I mean, at one point in time, Ryans lunches in school consisted of chicken nuggets, tacos or a optional hoagie, fries, chocolate milk and cookies. Parents complained. I totally get the whole Obama-eat-better band wagon.  I couldn't understand why they would shove hoagies at kids when that might possibly be the only meal some got!  What happened to hot turkey with mashed potatoes and a veggie like when I was in school? I wouldn't have eaten that day old waxy looking lunchmeat hoagie either! But seriously, todays lunch menu almost made me chuckle.  Ok. It DID make me chuckle.  I would so love to talk to the person who decided and wrote that one up!

On the wonderful and delicious menu we have lovely kid friendly items like..........

Three bean salad
Hummus Dip and carrots
Baked Beans
Bean Burger
Sweet potato puffs
Zucchini dippers
Fruit is THE one and only dessert each and every single day from now until June
And my personal fav: Sauteed Kale

#1 My kids wouldn't know a zucchini if they tripped over it in the grocery store! And I doubt they would eat it (raw at that) no matter how much someone stuck it in dipping sauce!

#2 Please...tell me how many children actually eat three bean salad.  Cause the other day I gave my daycare kids some basic pasta salad and they looked at me like I had three heads and each one was talking another language!

#3 Sauteed Kale....seriously.  Do I really even have to go there?

#4 And no kid, adults included, would touch that bean burger unless it was last thing on this earth to eat and maybe even then most everyone I know would have doubts on that!!

I know I raised picky eaters.  I am one myself.  I admit it.  As an adult I would venture slightly more into unknown foods more so than I did as a child.  But never in this lifetime would I ever see most children even possibly consider sauteed kale! Who are they kidding?!  Lets be honest, we know that most of those choices are gracing the bottom of a trash can!

Offering good choices to kids are wonderful....if they eat them!  If they pick and most everything isn't eaten but thrown away, it really does defy the purpose.  And some mighty hungry kids are going home with empty bellies!  Is it better for kids to eat something or to make someone in DC feel better?


2 comments:

  1. Interesting menu.... I think theres only two, maybe three things on there that I'd even eat. I don't think my kids would eat any of them and they aren't even that picky when it comes to eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one word for this... WOW! What in the world? Kale? Really?

    ReplyDelete