Thursday, May 30, 2013

Say WHAT?!

My youngest, Delaney is in girl scouts.  Brownies to be exact.  We are gearing up for a camping trip and I am not sure which I am going to have fun with more.......the camping with my daughter or the camping with the other moms.

Delaney is all full of excitement over the trip.  She wants to do everything and then some.  So I am voting in favor of the other moms.

When the moms all voted that we should do a trip to the spa next year instead of camping and the leader asked if anyone knew campfire songs and you could already hear the sounds of crickets, I knew this was going to be one fun weekend.  If nothing else I get the feeling I am going to be laughing my head off.

Listen.  I do not profess to be some sort of outback survivor.  We like doing outdoors things like rafting and hiking but in the end mommy wants her ac/cable tv/fluffy mattress filled room with running water, a toilet and a restaurant preferred. But I wasn't going to complain.  This was an adventure with my daughter.  I am game and ready. I view it kind of like a bug.  Outside I shrug my shoulders and squish the bug cause I don't want my daughter to be scared but inside I am secretly screaming and having a panic attack and when I clean up the dead bug I go to the bathroom for a good cry.  I think this camping trip is going to be a bug.  I shall slap on my old sneeks, pull my hair into a baseball cap and suck it up.  Its for my daughter after all. I'm game.

The other moms?  Not so much!

There will be no experienced hikers in this group or ones who love to fish or can stir up one mighty fine 3 course meal by the light of a camp fire while singing jazzy and exciting campfire songs.  I have heard a lot of groans during the planning and one mom asking if she can bring her tv and another who said that if her daughter didn't know about this trip she so wouldn't be going. The loud hurrah for a spa next year was the final straw for me. Inside I am already giggling.  This is going to be soooooooooooooo fun!

Ok. I admit I am stocking up on bug spray and already have enough lights to bring a small passenger plane in for a landing and I do plan to bring a cooler for our tent cause not only will Delaney starve with FISH for dinner but, well, mommy might want an oreo on occasion.  And I hand picked the mom and daughter we will room with.  First cause they seem nice.  Second cause she was the one that said she would stay home if her daughter didn't know about the trip.  Come on.  How could I resist? I envision a lot of laughing in that tent! 

The only thing that I myself will not do on this trip is fish.  I will hike. I will go out for hours hunting leaves of every kind in a downpour wearing my lovely poncho as it clings to my damp and humid legs. I will jump in the lake with my daughter and swim.  I will pick ticks off us and even squish a bug.  I will attempt campfire pancakes which I am not so sure will be edible.  But I will not, in any way, fish! Momma don't touch no fish!  I don't catch them. I don't remove them from the hook. I sure am NOT gutting and cleaning them.  And there is no way on this living planet I am going to TOUCH THE WORM TO CATCH IT.  This was just announced today that we have to provide our own worms and I draw the line. I have limits.  And I think that Delaney isn't likely either.  And if the other spa loving moms are a preview into this story, I think it safe to say that when the leader asks where our worms are there will be a long silence filled with cricket music (and my laughter as the leader has to bait, unhook and clean 20 fish as we watch).  I see some sketchy fishing badges coming from this trip.

You know this is going to be good!

I will lay on my sleeping bag covered cot, covered in bug spray with my tent lit up like a mansion and eating my oreos while I laugh with "not going camping" mom over the adventures of the day and after the fishing experience I see coming........

maybe plan for the spa trip next year with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment