Thursday, October 21, 2010

I forgot!

I am currently making dinner.

I know. Shocker!

But I am.

And since Delaney and Todd are off to soccer, I knew I had plenty of time to get it done. We are having baked potatoes and I decided to pop them in the oven instead of my usual nuc-ing . Only.....I couldn't remember HOW to make them in the oven. It has been so long since I have done potatoes in the oven, I wasn't sure I was doing them right!

I actually had to resort to the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook! And....I was wrong. I had to up the oven temp or they would have been baking another 1/2 hour or so after Todd and Delaney came home! I vaguely even remembered having to put foil on them!

My grandmother would be ashamed if she were here!

But it got me to thinking, as I was scrubbing those potatoes, about how much we don't remember.  Simply because we don't do them anymore.   Like calling someone on the phone vs. cell phones, emails and text messages. Going to the movies instead of watching On Demand. Playing a board game vs. Wii!

It is almost like we have gotten lost in our world of fast conveniences. It is so much easier sending a text than it is to write a whole letter. I remember writing to family and friends and making my letters so long I had to add an extra stamp on it! Does anyone even use a stamp anymore? I think the postmen have become very lonely lately!

Gone, it seems are the days of picnics outside and walks at night. Gone is sitting and chatting over a glass of iced tea. Gone is family game nights that require everyone to communicate. And gone are baked potatoes in the oven.

It is almost sad.

Sad that we have missed out on the things that take time and bring us closer to others.

And really sad that I actually had to look up 'baked potatoes'!

Thank God for Good Homes and Gardens!
Who knew I would be blowing off the dust for baked potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment