Monday, August 2, 2010

Who?

My [much younger] girlfriend stopped over yesterday to say goodbye before she headed back to college. We spent the afternoon eating and chatting and laughing. It was a rather nice afternoon.

During the conversation, Todd mentions Engelbert Humperdinck. Now, honestly, I cannot remember why the subject was coming up because the conversation resulting from said name just kinda over took my memory.

Todd mentions the name and before he can finish the sentence, my girlfriend interrupts him and says "EngelWHO?" Todd stops, looks at her and says Engelbert Humperdinck again. Todd is totally in awe that my girlfriend has never heard of this person! She starts to laugh and asks if this person is from his generation or her generation and Todd says......"from my mothers generation!" (Now my mother in law is old enough to be this girls GREATgrandmother) That resulted in a huge round of laughter as she said "Todd the radio only goes back so far!"

Then there was even more laughter when she kept trying to say his name and announced that Engelbert obviously got beat up on the school playground with that name!

Todd, dear, you are old too!

Humperdinck is not a well known name of people born beyond 1980! Not that is was a hit with MY generation. But I at least know the name! I seriously doubt that Humperdincks songs make it to many IPod lists today!

No comments:

Post a Comment