Monday, May 10, 2010

Dentist

I know I have mentioned my insane fear of spiders. I would love to say that is about the only thing that makes me almost pee my pants. But I would be lying.

I am totally and completely afraid of the dentist too. I could probably say that I would rather have a spider crawl on my hand than to go to the dentist. Probably. Cannot say for sure because I have never tried it. And probably won't. But the thought sounds better than sitting in the dentist chair. So I will go with it.

Probably years of a not-so-nice-dentist growing up has me sick to my stomach just thinking about an upcoming cleaning. Oh I try and be brave. I walk in the door with a smile on my face and a cheery "good morning" for the receptionist behind the desk and walk casually over to take a seat and read my book. But what I am feeling is the need to throw up on the floor, sweaty palms and trust me when I say that I do NOT read a single word in my book! I am listening. To the drill. Trying to not pay attention to the antiseptic smell of the office. And talking myself into not running when I hear the nurse coming cause I KNOW she is coming for me!

Cleanings will have me so worked up that I make myself sick. So one can only imagine when I actually need dental work done. And I usually do. I have a mouth full of fillings and two caps. Hence my obvious fear of dentists and why. Most were done when I was younger. But some have popped up in my later years. The caps are a new addition to my family. And I can say that my new dentist who did them has given me no reason to be afraid. He is actually quite sweet. I like him alot. And all his other dentists that work there and support staff. But memories of days gone by are hard to overcome and forget.

Well now I can add a tooth pulling to my list of dental woes. My wisdom tooth is slowly chipping away and about to break completely. I sat there in a panic, with two small pieces of tooth in my hand and actually debated in how long I could stall doing what obviously must be done! The thought of living on creamed soup and icecream did sound appealing for a while vs. the call I knew I would have to make.

The weekend came and during which I noticed that the rest of what is left of the tooth had a nice huge crack. When that broke, the filling would come out and it would be down to my gum. I knew what must be done and I hardly slept this past weekend because of it. It might have been from hunger. But it was probably more so because I did not want my tooth pulled. I have been worried sick over it!

Well I did it. I made the call for the oral surgeon this morning. The thought of my tooth breaking completely off in my hand worried me more so than being drugged and the tooth pulled!

During my call I said to the receptionist "I do not want to hear, feel or see anything! I AM calling the right person, correct?" In which she laughed and said "They will knock you out". I am glad we have an equal understanding of my needs!

So tomorrow I have a consultation. I was totally assured they would not touch the tooth during tomorrows visit. It was just a consult and to get information. I will take her at her word and drag me heels in the door........with the assurance that I will go back home with everything I came in with!

And I shall return, dragging my heels in the door........with the assurance that there will be drugs and I feel no pain, hear and see nothing! Then and only then we might become friends!

(And in return.......maybe I won't throw up in his waitingroom! )

No comments:

Post a Comment