Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Yeah! Now we're talkin!

Delaney started soccer for another season! 

Now I know you have heard me talk about the 'new rules' for playing soccer but just in case you missed my exciting point of view.........  They aren't anything like they were when Ryan and Megan began.  Both pretty much started around 5 years old.  But they both played GAMES.  As in goalies and scores and parents cheering on each ball shot in the net!   Oh no.  Not today.  Today it is all about 'everyone wins' and 'it isn't about the score, it is about the fun!'. 

Blah, blah, blah.

To me this was set up by some physco therapist who felt that a child under the age of 8, who lost, just might have some mental issue later on in life that could involve major issues in adulthood.  OR...it could be done by some parent who got tired of seeing their childs team whooped.  Myself, I rather favor the last opinion cause....well.....it is more likely the truth!

I believe that competition is a good thing.  One cannot learn to improve if they think they should always win and be perfect and wonderful.  In the real world, there are winners and there are losers.  Your boss doesn't come and pat you on the back and say 'nice try Timmy!' and give you a gatorade and granola bar after you lost an important client!  If you want, better you have to fail sometimes.  That is what gives us the drive to improve and prefect and make ourselves greater.  To push the limit and suceed.

BUT.....that is not the outlook for Delaneys age group.  They put four kids on one side and four kids on the other.  The team coaches pat the kids on the back as they run past, while the coach holds a cup of coffee and yawns the morning sleep away.  "Nice try Timmy!"

My pep talks with Delaney are not geared to that thinking.  I want her to win.  I want her to improve. I want her to score.  I want her to be the best she can be.  And if that means she is whooping some childs butt while they stand and pick dandilions, then so be it!

And that pretty much is what happened last Saturday.  For some reason, the soccer board put the team ages together from 4-6 year olds.  Delaney is the size of an 8 year old!!  Our team is mainly 6 year olds.  The team we played was mainly 4 and 5 yr olds.  Needless to say, Delaney was a good head and shoulders above most of the other team.  I would like to say I told my daughter to pull back but....well.....I didn't.  What I said was something along the lines of "don't let their size fool you.  You go for it and take that ball!"  And I am proud to say she did exactly that!

Now don't get all teary eyed on me and shake your head thinking I am 'one of those moms' cause, even though their team was younger and smaller, they held their own!  And then some!  Quite a lot of their balls made it into the net!  So I didn't feel too bad when Delaney raced across the entire field, overtook the short little dude, stole his ball and ran it home!  Several times!  Or that she ran ahead and blocked the goal.  Or that she learned how to guide the opposing team member to the side line using her body and cause them to not score. Or that she learned how to pass and help make a score with her team.

Now, who knows what the score was cause they didn't keep one.  But I know Delaney did awesome and I am rather proud of her.  She is going to be one great player........once they can say they are actually PLAYING a game!  And when they do.....watch out little dudes! 
#7 is gonna get cha!






1 comment: