Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mothers Day to me......

In my perfect world, I would have slept in this morning and been woken up to the hugs and laughter of my children as they brought in my breakfast of homemade waffles, butter and fresh fruit.  Then I would receive my handmade cards and we would sit on the bed together and talk and tickle each other and laugh the world away.

But in reality, Mothers Day this year was so completely the opposite that it was almost on another planet! 

We are still doing home repairs.  My BIL came to help put a patio cover in and we attacked yet another room with flooring.  The family room got done and........another one bites the dust!  And, yes, (just in case you were sitting on the edge of your seat and wondering) it went far faster this time cause we were prepared for it! 

You know how you start a project that seems simple and as you go along, hour by hour, it grows and grows and grows into this HUGE and MAJOR project that far exceeds your greatest expectations?!   Yep...that is our flooring project.  We went to the store and picked up flooring and matting and said "No big deal!".  Till we began.  Then what should have been an easy project turned into our worse nightmare!  We tore up the carpet only to find vinyl flooring under the carpet and about enough staples to make it look like the contractors were in some WWIII scene with air supported staple guns!  Then we get the flooring down and find that the trim was cut to the contractors mistakes.  As we put the 1st rows up, we notice that they were NOT going to work and had to run and get new trim.  And the trim work around the doors did not meet the floor.  And the new trim work we got for the doors did not match the old trim work.  And when you put the new trim work on it was lower than the old trim work which meant having to paint again and.....................

Oh yeah.  It is soooooooooooooooooooooo fun!  Ya just never know what exciting puzzle you are going to run into when you start a new room!  Oh the challenge and excitement of it all (are you picking up on the total sarcasm here yet?)!!

Anyway.............to get back on track.........

We decided that we had way too much on our plates this year to worry about going out for our traditional Mothers Day brunch.  Now I would like to think that just meant no eating out.  Ok.  I was fine with that. I understood and , in the end, I was getting new floors. But I guess Todd also took that to mean no need for cards, flowers, cake, gift......or breakfast in bed too!  Not even a poptart thrown in my direction as he headed out to work on the patio cover! I guess I shouldn't have expected it!

Then to add hurt to injury (oh yes there is a pun here), I rammed my van tail end into my BILs truck!
The tail end of THIS............
Had a blind date with THIS..........
And the result was THIS.........
In my defense, I couldn't see the truck it was parked in my blind spot!  And that bully of a truck didn't even get a scratch!

My window is gone as if it never was.  My tail light is history.  My trunk door opens no more.   

Tomorrow I have to call my insurance company.  I feel like a little girl having to go to the principals office and tell him what bad, bad thing I did!  I suspect it is not going to be a pat on the back or a finger wag!

I am, however, proud to say that this is my 1st accident in some 25 years.  And if I had to hit something, I am glad it was that bully of a truck and not something else.

I have a feeling my insurance agent is so not going to be giving me any Mothers Day card tomorrow either!

No comments:

Post a Comment