Monday, September 27, 2010

Quiet as a church mouse

Sunday was my day to sleep in.  But, being the morning person that I am, that amounted to about 7:30.  Gone are the days of laying in bed lazying around till 11am!  My body is on it's own alarm clock!  Someone just needs to install a snooze button!

So I arose and trudged out of bed to get ready for the day.  And even though I woke early, we still didn't make it to church on time.  Well it on time.  Real time.  Church starts at 10am and we walked in exactly at 10am.  The problem with that is that the clock in the church is set 10 min fast.  It was done to keep our old minister on track cause he too was always running late and then liked to talk ....a lot....which usually made service run over a good 20 minutes.  Not that setting the clock ahead helped cause he know it was set that way and started 10 min 'late' anyway!

Now we have a new minister.  Who likes to start on time it would seem.  Real time.  Which means that, going by our clock in the church, I arrived 10 minutes into the service.

So there came the Chapman family, greeting the welcome person at the door and grabbing our bulletins as 4 of us tip toe rather noisily through the church and drawing every eye there in our direction while the Pastor was chatting about upcoming events and beginning prayer.  And, if you noticed, I said four.  That was because Todd, who sings in the choir that was currently already seated on the altar, had to skootch in and try not to be anymore noticeable than me coming in with 3 kids!

I had to forewarn the minister.  It was not going to be the 1st time.  The Chapmans are and will be late.  And I apologised for any future disturbance our crew made.  He laughed and said sometimes people arrive late on purpose so they don't have to be social before service.  I assured him that was not the case here.  Sunday mornings in our house were more like........... "We have to leave!  We are going to be late! How many times do I have to tell you to put on your shoes? You are NOT wearing that to church? No you cannot sleep in! Where are your shoes?! We have to leave!!  Grab a jacket. Get out of the shower! Let's go! WHERE- ARE- YOUR- SHOES?!?!?!?"

Sadly there was no help for us and I just wanted him to know and expect it cause if he insisted on arising early and making it to church on time on a Sunday morning....we would not be sitting in the pew waiting.  And it was nothing personal! It just....well....is.

Perhaps he should keep to the clock!  It seemed to work for us!  But I doubt it will happen cause now he knows about the clock and plans to correct that problem. 

Now if only he can correct mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment