Monday, September 28, 2009

1st time vs. seasoned vets

The other day I had gone to the peds office. It was crowded and so I signed in, handed them my copay and sat among the other parents and loud kids.

As I sat there I saw this oriental family sitting near me. A mom, dad and their new baby daughter. I smiled and watched with found memories as they catered to their obviously 1st and only child. How do I know this for a fact you might ask? By how their world was revolving around their daughter. It was like it was just them in that waiting room and all the noise and other parents somehow disappeared.

They talked to her. Held her. Goo'd to her and smiled to each other like this was THE most important moment in their lives. Mom awkwardly held the baby and tried to feed her a bottle when it was obvious the baby didn't want it. But it was probably time for it and so they tried the whole waiting time to give it to her. Then they tried to burp her cause it was the thing to do even though I doubt the child took a sip.

It was actually sweet to watch. It brought back those memories of awkwardly 1st times when the world stopped just for us too. Ahhhh how times have changed!

Now life is full of activities. Times when the world stopped because Ryan took his 1st step continued on for the girls. There was no baby books completed. There was no calling everyone on the phone when they did something amazing like saying Da Da or the 1st smile.

Now life is full of minivans and rushing to the next appointment and PTA bake sales and parent teacher meetings and.............somehow those special moments....those sweet 1st time parent moments get lost is the whirlwind of family life.

I don't think I missed out on anything with the girls. Special times we still shared. 1st times remembered. Kisses and hugs given galore. Laughter filled the air. But the other things were put aside.....the baby books. The phone calls. The running for the camera. Now those minutes are filled with more hugs, kisses, and activities.

But the image of that couple and their sweet baby still brought back fond memories that we, as moms, all know and share. It makes you want to step back and look more fondly at what you have.

Megan sat next to me that day in the peds office. And she was no longer that sweet little baby like that couple held. She is a beautiful preteen beginning to burst into a world of womanhood. Gone is the smell of her sweet baby head as I rocked her. The grip of her tiny hand on my finger. The look of love in her eyes as I held her and gave her a bottle.

In its place is memories of a new time. Of talks about boys and nail polish and who will take her to the next dance. Of cheerleader try outs and how she HAS to have that shirt from Aero because it is the most important thing in her world right now.

I might have gotten teary looking at that couple. I might have smiled at the image they gave. But I wouldn't trade that beautiful baby girl sitting next to me either. It is with days gone by that we have gotten to where we are today. And there is new things to explore together where we too are the center of the universe and I will enjoy this adventure too.

And one day, many years from today, that couple will be embarking on a new beginning too with a smile on their face and memories in their heart.

1 comment: