Monday, September 14, 2009

You want me to do WHAT?!

The other day Todd, myself and my girlfriend were sitting in the van and chatting about when we were in school. And we talked about gym and how a lot of schools are passing on that now because they do not feel it is necessary. It is slowly joining ranks with art and music.

Drs and government complain on how big kids are today and how they eat and then they take away gym and recess. That makes sense. Kinda makes one wonder why they bother to complain!

But this had Michele asking about the fitness tests we had to take when we were in school. Complaining how she had to do stupid things like the uneven bars at 5ft 10in in which the bar came below your hip and chin ups which few girls could do and how kids today are getting away with murder. They should feel blessed!!

She went on to talk about gym and how it was awful to be the last one called when teams were picked. It seemed to make a permanent mark in her life being the last one called. I just laughed and said I could not blame my co-students for passing ME by. I would have too! Lets be honest, I was not the athletic type. I was more into dance, pageants and theater. The thought of running after some stupid ball and getting sweaty was certainly not my idea of fun!

Oh I passed gym. I got dressed. Did some fake jumping jacks when the teacher looked my way and looked at the sky while my classmates tried to hit that home run and make the bases. The ball would come my way and I stepped aside and let it roll! No need to break a nail or get hit in the face when you can just let it fall and roll! Right!? Then when it came to a stop, assuming it was still somewhere near me, I might bend to pick it up and chuck it to someone close. Might was the key word. I guess it depended on if the teacher was looking my way or not! And if there were boys on my team....all the better cause I knew they would help me out and grab the ball for me. Not sure if it was cause they liked me or if it was more so cause they knew I wouldn't bother to grab it. Either way, it worked for me!

I am a self confessed gym slacker. I admit it. I am sorta proud of it too in some odd way. After all, I was able to pass gym class and the fun state fitness test and hardly broke a sweat. And on a good day I might have even gotten a bit of a tan standing in that outfield. A true accomplishment if you ask me!

1 comment:

  1. I had a love/ hate relationship with Gym. I only took it for as long as necessary.

    ReplyDelete