Thursday, June 10, 2010

Make her a list Mommy!

Summer is almost here and I cannot express to you how excited that makes me feel. After a long winter of snow and cold and more snow, the idea of summer has me dancing in my seat. The days are longer. The sun is stronger. The birds are singing in the morning. And I am living in bliss already just thinking about the next several months!

I have been making mental lists in my head on all the things I plan NOT to do. No after school activities. No PTA meetings. No soccer. No church activities. No "Kims bus service" making the rounds to pick up and drop off kids.

Nope. My goals this summer run along the lines of reading a book on the back porch. Rocking Delaney to sleep while we sit outside, watching the fireplace and the fireflies dance around us. Swimming....ok lounging on my mat in the pool while the sun wraps me in its warm arms! Some icecream stops at the local custard stand, fresh picked produce, barefoot walks and sitting on my front porch watching the world go by comes to mind too. Throw in a nice vacation and some beach romps on the shoreline and I picture a lovely next three months! I LOVE summer!!

And Delaney seems to as well.

Delaney and I went out this morning and sat in the rocker while we watched Megan get on the bus and I was talking with Delaney about how Sissy will be home soon to do things with her over the summer.

"Make her a list Mommy!" she said back to me. "Tell her I want to go outside and play chalk with her and go for walks and ride my bike and swim.....make a list so she remembers!!"

Now several things came to mind in that moment. The 1st being that she is most certainly my child cause it is obviously in her genes to make lists it seems. I am so proud that some of my organizational skills rubbed off on at least one of my children!

Then there is the fact that Delaney is obviously making summer plans of her own and dancing in her own little seat at the prospects! That's my summer baby!

Of course, I am not so sure how Megan is going to feel over her own little "Sister Do" list that is being put into motion. I am sure Megans idea of summer has something to do with sleep, texting and an occasional romp in the pool with someone closer to her age. Little does she know she is going to have a 3ft something shadow over the next several months. Or that her many talents will be put to use making art projects with chalk and sidewalk paint!

I am sure that they will work it out. And the Delaney will be in her glory at her new playmates and freedom because her sister and brother will be home. I will have to get back to you on how the playmates feel.............

After I decide to finish my mental lists while sitting on my front porch drinking iced tea and watching the world go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment