Thursday, May 21, 2009

Hello Houston, I think we have lift off!

I do believe we have made it. We have finally taken off and gotten over that hump. Megan is on the road to recovery! And Mom has survived another surgery. My world of icepops, pain medication and pudding is almost over. Steak.........here I come!

By Saturday, Megan still refused to get up or drink. Still complaining about upset stomach, faintness, headaches and her throat. I liked to think we would never see the child up again! So, by noon on Saturday, we packed her up, grabbed the throw up bucket and headed for an all day excursion to the ER.

Just getting there took far longer though. 1st I called the ped. in hopes they might tell me if I even should take her at all. But the ped. had the nerve to close for the day. After all it was Saturday and my child was SICK! How dare he! So I got directed to call my peds. ER. They said to call the surgeon. Ooooook. I call the surgeon, who must have been out golfing with my ped. cause he wasn't in either. Go figure! Then I was directed to call AI DuPonts ER. After telling my story for like the 100th time ( and the nurse telling me her sons recent battle with the tonsil monster) she tells me I should bring her in. Did I mention in the previous posts that DuPont is in Delaware? And that I live in NJ? Like that was going to happen! So.......off we went to our local ER. Which I should have just skipped the phone calls and saved myself the energy by just heading to the ER in the 1st place. Again........go figure!

So we trugged off to the ER for a just-in-case check. The thing that I cannot figure out is why there is only one other person in the ER and yet it took them 45 min to even call us. And another 30 min before the dr came in to talk with us. Where was the urgency like the show ER? The rushing drs and nurses coming to your side and hooking up blinking lights and buzzers? They sure weren't at Elmer's ER. I don't think they would know how to move that fast if someone came in like that! I think they were probably sitting at the computer watching the exciting season finale of Grey's!!!

So a good hour and 1/2 later we finally get seen by the dr. Megan was only mildly dehydrated. BUT we found out that the problems she was having was from the pain meds. Seems Megan is sensitive to them. The solution was for her to "eat" with each dose. I did point out that she had her tonsils out and the reason we were there was because I couldn't get her to DRINK. Eating had not yet made our list of to-do's yet! Did he really think she would chomp on some crackers when she took the dose? NOT! So I made a mother decision and pulled the pain medication myself and put her on an OTC pain reliever. It was the best thing we did. Too bad I didn't think of that two hours and 6 phone calls before!

She is up and moving, drinking, eating some. Feeling much better and back to her old self. Well almost. I can see the light! I know she is getting better cause yesterday she spent almost every minute my back was turned picking on her sister. When I had to yell at her to give Delaney her blanket back cause Megan was trying to hide it under her skinny butt.....I knew we had lift off! We had survived another two weeks of whining, crying, sore throats and it-is-the-end-of-the-world drama.

Houston I do believe we are coming in for a landing!

No comments:

Post a Comment