Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Fresh air, clothes pins and third degree burns

I was talking with my step mother about clothes. She likes to hang her clothes outside and loves it. My thoughts on this was how do you not get your sheets to feel like sandpaper or your jeans to stand on their own when you hang them outside?

Wanna hear a funny....My grandmother, who raised me, always hung her clothes. Never owned a dryer. So I got married and decided that I would hang too. Cause that was what you were supposed to do, right? That was normal. Everyone did it!! Add in that I didn't know how to turn on a dryer anyway! *wink wink* Which all this was a good thought at the time since it was August. Not sure how my gusto would have been come December and 20 degrees with snow!

Anyway....so I go out and proudly hang everything. What a good wife! But where we were living was city water. You know. With chemicals and such? Hard water gallore! (where I came from was well water) I think the jeans would have taken a layer or two of skin off if we had put them on! Imagine that ER trip and trying to explain your injuries....."Well dr I put on the jeans my wife hung outside and got thrid degree burns trying to pull them on!" Ok that might be a bit dramatic......They certainly could stand on their own without falling over! And needless to say, being a young bride, it took me a while to realize why and that it was just not going to happen! LOL! I was destained to never have clothes that smelled as good as my grandmothers! I didn't do the hanging of clothes for very long!

I AM thinking on trying it again now that we are back out in well water in a different town. Undecided. Now that I am older, the idea of lugging out basket after basket of clothes to hang just doesn't have much of a new-bride thrill like it did back then! The dryer is now my friend! And you know...if you buy Lysol in Fresh Linen scent, you can get that "smell of freshly laundered sheets that have hung out on the clothes line to dry" and actually never have to go outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How awesome can life be???!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment