Sunday, May 17, 2009

In my daughter's eyes

You try to be everything to your children. Cook, driver, maid, dr, hairdresser, etc. I know I wonder if they notice how much I do and care that I do it at all. Come on ladies, this is a thankless job! No pay raises, no paid vacations, no pats on the back for a job well done.

The other day, Megan was laying on the sofa. Still a suffering patient of the surgery from Monday. Not feeling well and just laying there like the end of the world was near. I had gone in the kitchen to get her an icepop and Delaney came in to follow me, asking if that was for "sissy". I told her yes and she asked if she could take it in. OK. I follow her to make sure that, well, she doesn't eat it herself or just throw it on the coffee table and run. I hide behind the corner and watch as she goes over to her big sister, pulls Megan's hair away from her forehead and ask her if she was still sick. Then she leans over, kisses her forehead and puts her little hands around her head and hugs for several minutes. All the while telling her it will be ok and patting her on the back and head as she is doing it.

It brought tears to my eyes. Cause, had I brought that icepop in to Megan, I probably would have done the exact same thing. It was at that loving moment that I knew my children watched and appreciated. They might not say "Hey good job on dinner mom!" but they do it with the touch of a loving hand on a forehead and a kiss to get better. At that moment I saw myself in my daughters eyes and knew I was doing a good job.

Then again.....about 5 minutes later, this same child went to the bathroom, walked out with her underwear down around her ankles and handed me a tampon, telling me she needed one. Perhaps she watches TOO much!

1 comment: