Thursday, May 7, 2009

I AM blessed!

I awoke this morning to the sound of rain. Again. Two straight weeks of rain, right Jerseyans? It is enough to bring the most happy person down. But it is spring. A new beginning. The smell of freshness is in the air. Tiny buds threaten to burst on the trees and birds are singing. So, as I was getting ready this morning (picking up on this morning bathroom thing yet?) I threw open the window and listened to the earths music. Can a day be any better? God has blessed me with a new day.

Going over the last few years, it has been a true journey. Pop getting sick and passing away, Grams getting worse with AD, having to sell the family home to move her in with us, then her falling just shortly after and breaking her hip. During all this I was very sick. I just didn't know it then. I wrote off my tiredness to stress and bouncing between basketball games, grocery shopping, work and running to the hospital. I answered the phone one day to hear that I was going to walk the road of the big "C". Cancer was tapping me on my shoulder and it was then that I realized that life was not so stressful. No one cared if the groceries got picked up today or tomorrow. Or if the floor was swept. I had to take a step back and realize that there was a "ME" in all this. I learned to say no to things. And I looked at the world in a new light. Each morning was a new start. An opportunity to start over. I have much to be happy about.

I have a roof over my head, a husband to support me, three beautiful children, food on our table, family who loves me, friends who care......and birds singing in my yard. Each morning I woke to pray for Gods support and for my blessings. Cause life is nothing without them. How often we forget what they are. We get caught up in the mess of life. We scurry like little critters moving through the day so worried about dr appointments, our boss, soccer games and birthday parties. But the things that mean much more we often walk past in our rush.

It turned out I didn't have cancer. I was still sick. I had something called sarcoidosis. I am still dealing with this daily. But I will get through it. Because of my faith. Because of my family and friends. Because I am never alone. Because I WILL.


I learned I am on a ride of my life. I could have been angry and sad. I could have tried to take control over something I had no control over and then been eaten with the anger along the way that it wasn't working. But I am not the driver of this rollercoaster ride. And once I got over the fact that I was not in control, I was able to raise my hands up, scream with laughter and enjoy it. Not the health issues...but life.

I still wake each morning and thank God for my blessings. What would life be without them? A scurry of activities. Each day I smell the air, look at the flowers and love my childrens laughter. When I am alone...in the bathroom...in the van...in the silence of the night......when all the stress of the day is gone and the only thing I can hear is the sound of Gods breath on my shoulder, I know I have been truely blessed and am greatful for it.

You don't have to be religious to take something from this. Thank your God....thank mother nature....thank whomever you feel is driving your rollercoaster and throw your hands up, laugh, and enjoy the ride.



I took this picture this morning. Can life get any better than to wake to this? To hear her soft breath next to my ear. To have her roll over and hold my hand. So be able to lean over and smell her sweet head. No matter what life throws at me, life is good. I AM blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment